Let’s get on it.
This year promise your giftee that you will make a written commitment to them to begin, restart, or increase your physical activity towards the goal of 150 minutes each week. Seriously. Type it out or hand write it, sign it and then put some stickers on it – like the ones we used to get when we got a 91% on our spelling test. You are giving them something you could never afford to buy them and pssst…it’s free to you. What a beautiful juxtaposition. Priceless to them and FREE to You!
What if you are already at 150 mins/week? Well first, that’s great. If that’s the case I would buy them something really nice (your 150 is still equally valuable, they just might take it for granted) and I’d still give them the contract. Just reword it. Lick pen… I will continue to average at least 25 minutes day of physical activity throughout 2018.
Why this gift? A million reasons but here’s a couple:
…because then you will probably not have to visit me in the hospital on a beautiful Saturday when the kids have a soccer game.
…you will likely not have to put me in a home for patients with Alzheimer’s.
…(to your loved one) I know you love me and will always talk to me, but this way you will have times where you will not have to stop what you are doing when I call you because I’m sad, anxious, depressed or my knees hurt.
*If you’ve thought this through a little, you see how you can give this same gift to as many family members as you want. Still free.
Okay now you know what to get them. Here’s how to do it:
Ease into Walking
1. Check with your doctor to see if it’s all right for you start walking (don’t wait for your appointment in Jan/Feb – call them this morning). If they say no, please have them call us (614.714.0407). Our people will talk to their people.
2. Doc says, “You’re good!”. But…you’re new to walking and maybe scared by theclimate?. Just layer up for the weather and head outside or into the mall if you’re intimidated by nature – (we LOVE the health benes of nature)
3. Start slow – we’ve got all the time in the world to improve. Maybe you decide you will go for 2-3 minutes and NO more. Build on that tomorrow. You’ll have150 minutes for the week before you know it.
4. Get a pedometer – you do not need to drop $50-100 on a fancy device. They have great, reliable ones for a low cost or you can use your phone (free). This way you can say, “Wow, I had 2300 steps today. Yesterday I didn’t even break 2000. I will keep climbing this mountain! Dr. Dave would be so proud of me (send me an email @ firstname.lastname@example.org
This internal competition is fantastic for your health.
5. If your knees hurt – walk in a pool or find a bike. There are pools…and bikes. It is very hard to find a bike in a pool. Walking in a pool is great, but…it might make you want to walk outside or find a friend to walk with in the pool.
6. Set a reward for either completing the first few days or the first week or the first few minutes – we don’t care. Guilt free Amazon credit? Food? (yeah, we don’t care – physical activity is that important)See one of the Top 10 movies of 2018
? Oh, you deserve it.
Are we cool?
Okay, good then. Go make it an amazing day. You are a superstar.